Wendy Robertsen - Ayurveda Practioner, Yoga Instructor
Whether you have difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, sleep loss can feel maddening , debilitating, and sound sleep can seem further out of reach with each restless night.
But there is hope. Supporting your body to return to a balanced sleep cycle might not be as difficult as you imagine it to be.
And Ayurveda offers time-tested tools that truly support our bodies in reclaiming their natural rhythms.
Ten Easy Ways to Get Your Zzzs
Tips from Ayurveda for blissful sleep:
1. Eat three meals during the day – breakfast, lunch around noon and an early dinner.
2. Do regular balanced exercise – modern research also confirms that moderate exercise can help improve sleep.
3. Try to go to bed by 10 p.m., during the drowsy Kapha time of night, so that your mind can settle down faster.
4. Eliminate or restrict severely the intake of stimulants such as caffeine or alcohol.
5. Wear comfortable clothing to bed — organic cotton is highly recommended .
6. Avoid hot, spicy foods at dinner.
7. Do not bring work-related material into the bedroom.
8. Keep your bedroom dark or very dimly lit.
9. A gentle massage of hands, feet and neck before bed can aid relaxation.
10. In bed, take long, deep, easy breaths, letting your mind and body relax.
A good night's sleep can not only help you stay alert, bright and focused the next day; it can also keep you healthy in the long run.